We are glad you are attending ConveyUX.
You will find the following tips helpful as you navigate the online conference, all of which takes place on the Hopin platform.
Hopin is a password-protected and secure online platform. The entire conference takes place on Hopin, in one virtual space. Each attendee creates their own Hopin login to access the platform.
During the conference, you will find each area of the event – Reception, Stage, Networking, Sessions, and Expo – on the left sidebar within Hopin.
Use the left sidebar from anywhere in the event.
Watch for the red “NOW” tags that appear on the left sidebar alerting you to active segments.
In the Reception area (discussed below), watch for “What’s happening now” buttons that appear whenever a segment is active. Use these buttons to navigate to an active segment.
This is your home base.
Whenever you join an event on Hopin, you start in Reception – your information hub and venue lobby. In Reception, you will see:
- [+] Organizer’s welcome message (event description, useful links)
- [+] Sponsor logos (clickable logos that bring you to a sponsor’s website)
- [+] Event Schedule (an active scroll of what is happening where and when)
- [+] “What’s happening now” buttons for convenient navigation
You will go to the Stage area to watch feature presentations as well as introductory remarks for each workshop. You can post your questions in the Stage chat, and a host will manage Q&A following each presentation.
All Stage activities are recorded.
You will find most conference activities in the Sessions area.
For example, during a concurrent presentations segment, you will go to the Sessions area where you can join one session or tour them all. You will also find breakout group discussions, like Deeper Dives, in the Sessions area.
For presentations in the Sessions area post your questions in the Sessions chat, and a host will manage Q&A following each presentation.
For group sessions, like Deeper Dives and workshop groups, you can take part on camera, only share audio, or simply watch. The number of people that can join on camera is limited to 20 (or fewer in some cases), but everyone can watch and post comments in Sessions chat.
All Sessions presentations are recorded. Group discussions are not recorded.
Watch for “One-on-One” segments in the schedule for excellent opportunities to grow your professional network in the Networking area.
The Networking area automates new connections between attendees. When you take part, you are randomly matched and meet other attendees in brief, one-on-one video chats round-robin style.
During your meetings, you can click the “Connect” button to exchange contact information. If both people in the meeting click “Connect,” their newly made contacts will appear in the Connections page of their Hopin profile.
Here are some ways to get the conversation started after some basic introductions (but watch the clock – meetings only last a few minutes!):
- What are you reading for fun right now?
- Have you found a website that makes you happy during social isolation?
- If you could start a business, what would it be?
- What is the best vacation you have ever been on?
- Are you working on any passion projects right now?
- What are your favorite podcasts?
- What is the most surprising thing that happened to you in the past week?
- What drew you to your work?
The Networking area is not recorded.
Other Ways to Network
In addition to one-one-one meetings in the Networking area, here are more ways to communicate with fellow attendees:
- [+] People tab: Search for a person and send them a private message (direct message). Or invite them to a video call.
- [+] Chat tab: Use Event chat to communicate globally to the whole conference. Use Stage chat and Session chat to communicate within the activity.
- [+] Sessions area: Click “+ Create Session” to set up and host your own group video chat.
- [+] Your Hopin profile: Add your photo and a short description about yourself. Add your social profile links. Your information will appear in the Networking area during one-on-one meetings and in the People tab.
The Expo area is a virtual exhibitor hall with vendor booths. You will find a couple of booths featuring pre-recorded videos, along with links to vendor websites. Some videos may not feature audio.
The Expo area is not recorded.
Video recordings of Stage and Session presentations will be available in a password-protected library after the conference.
Event chat logs and speaker slide decks will also be available in the library.
Which Browsers Work Best?
The following notes are from Hopin:
The latest versions of Chrome or Firefox guarantee the best experience.
Please avoid Brave, Safari, Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge since these browsers lack the modern web technologies support necessary for online events to run in a web browser.
Mobile browsers: Safari on iOS and Google Chrome on Android.
Note: Sometimes, third-party extensions can affect the experience blocking some of the Hopin interface elements. That’s why we [Hopin] also recommend opening the event in:
- [+] Incognito mode (command+Shift+N on macOS or Ctrl+Shift+N on Windows) on Chrome, or
- [+] Private tab (command+Shift+P for macOS or Ctrl+Shift+P for Windows) on Firefox.
During the event, in the People tab, search for Joe Welinske (Event Organizer) or Paul Albertson (Event Staff) and send either one of them a direct message.